Spring-Inspired Birthday Cake for Two!


Yes, I am still on a Spring fever just in case you're wondering :). It was only natural when two people had their birthday on the same exact day, one is my brother, and the other one is one of my friends, S, I immediately thought of a Spring cake! The gorgeous weather we've had for 2 weeks (it's back to rain and cold now) is also worth a celebration in a form of a cake.

The birthday fell on last Wednesday, and yes they both were born at the same day, which is an advantage for me really so that I don't have to make two cakes :). Well honestly, the Spring theme wasn't the first that came in my mind at first. It was so hard finding a design that fits both guy and girl, I wanted something natural and since I was so in the mood of the warm weather, I decided to once again go for the Spring theme! It is a bit weird that I used to dislike green color, one of the least favorite color, but now it is definitely one of my favorites. Same thing with polkadot, I used to hate it so much (yes, hate) but now I think they're really cute and I'm loving them! It's interesting how preference change by age :).


Anyways, I probably didn't do a really good job covering the cake with fondant, especially the top tier. My excuse? well, it was on weekday, it was late at night and I was super tired, bla bla bla.... but bottom line is, I didn't do a good job with the covering :(. The butterfly was made from royal icing that I've already had (make my life a lot easier) and so was the bee. It is a very very simple design, but I love it! The finished cake looks somewhat girly still, probably it's because of the pink flowers, but I don't mind (and I hope the birthday boy didn't either :D)



We brought the cake to the restaurant and it is so sad to think that the cake was destroyed (read:cut) in a matter of minutes after 6-8 hours of work, but I guess that's the way it works, unless I want to preserve it forever :). This is gonna be a short post since I'm exhausted with too many events at the moment. It is exciting and exhausting at the same time.

You know what, come to think of it, I made a similar birthday cake for them last year here. It was a cherry blossom theme which was so much inspired by the Spring weather. I guess I'm that predictable, huh? and they will just have to live with Spring cake every year then :). I mean who would not be excited to finally wear sandals and shorts outside? Certainly not me :). I will post the picture of them both later here, they looked almost like a twin :)

10 comments:

Cecilia said...

What beautiful and detailed cake! Definitely reminds me of the cherry blossoms blooming. I'm in Washington, DC and they will be at their peak this weekend.

Jo said...

Absolutely, absolutely stunning and gorgeous. I totally adore the decorations and the theme of the whole cake. Well done!

Memória said...

You did a wonderful job on this cake. It looks perfect.

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think you did a fine job covering the cake! I always put little dimples in the fondant with my fingertips, but I don't see any on yours! This cake is beautiful :)

Kelly said...

Gorgeous- just beautiful!The bee and butterfly are adorable touches. Love the branch and leaves, the dots, the ribbon - all of it. I'm sure they just loved it!
p.s. found you on foodgawker. :)

Akilla said...

Your cakes are stunning, you are a very talented baker! do you ever sell your cakes anywhere?

Bertha said...

Thank you so much everyone for the comments of encouragement :)

Cecilia: ohhh... lucky you. It was raining everyday for a whole month when the cherry blossom were blooming here in San Jose :(

Akilla: no, I don't sell my cakes at bakery or something. I just hope I have more time in the kitchen without having to rush everything everytime :). Thanks for the kind comment :)

Djewelry Design said...

What type of filling did you choose for this gorgeous cake ,love it :)

Bertha said...

Djewelry Design: The inside was Indonesian cake called "Lapis Surabaya", which is vanilla and chocolate cake alternating. The filling is just thin buttercream