Classic Indonesian Cheesecake


I got this cake request last minute for a friend's birthday, just two days before the birthday. Although I was super busy at work and taking care of school stuff, I just couldn't say no (this is one of my weaknesses). Luckily, the cake she wanta was not the kind of cake that requires multiple layers of fillings, but instead, just a standard indonesian sponge cake with vanilla buttercream and cheese filling. This must be at least the fourth or fifth indonesian cheesecake I post in this blog. Although I only made it one for myself, it seems like this is the most popular cake among my friends.

It turned out that although I'm always busy at work, that week or especially those two days were unusually busy. I got to come home at least 10 o'clock at night and went to work as early as I can. I set my alarm at 6 o'clock in the morning so that I would have time to make the cake before I go to work.

I had to make two batches of buttercream because the amount that I made the first time wasn't enough to cover the whole cake. Also, I have to mention that working with buttercream in a cold weather is not easy. The buttercream is not spreadable at all. It was as if the were just out from the fridge. I warmed the bowl for the second batch and it made it better and easier to spread afterwards.

The original plan was that the cake will be covered with shredded cheese, but whenI was about to decorate it, I thought it was kind of plain, especially for a birthday. If it was just for personal consumption, then it would be okay. So I tried to make some decorations for the side using white and dark chocolate. I have never liked working with chocolate for a lot of reason, but I always admire something that's well-decorated with chocolate decorations. It just looks professional. I didn't say that mine look professional. In fact, it's a far cry from professional, but at least I tried despite the fact that I don't like to go through the hassle of chopping, melting, molding, crafting the chocolate. Not to mention that the tools, the bowls and all the equipments are pain to wash. Someday, I'm planning to take chocolate decorating class in a college here in Santa Clara when I have a spare time.

Back to the cake, I was also planning to decorate the top with buttercream swirls and red cherry on top, but I forgot and have used up all of the buttercream. So I just used some royal icing butterflies that I have left from previous cake. Although, the colors of the butterflies don't really go together with the cake as a whole, but at least they give some touch.

I'm not sure if you know this (or don't want to know), but it's always an honor for me if someone wanted me to make a cake for them, even if it's just for snack, special occasion, or anything at all. So far, as busy as I can get, I have never said no to them, I just can't. Oh well, maybe once, but it was because it's impossible to do. The only time I said no was when I was asked to make a birthday cake for the same day as she called. It was still work hours and I won't get home until 8 o'clock at night and the cake was for 10 o'clock. So, I have good reason.

Anyways, from what I heard, the cake was a hit, everybody loved it, especially the birthday girl. Pheeewww, it's like everything that I did, every sacrifice that I made (if any) to make this cake was paid off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so great, I've been wanting to make this type of cheesecake for a while (sponge cake w/ grated cheese on top instead of the typical cheesecake). Would you ming postinf the recipe that you use for this particular cheesecake?Thank you.